- Auto, Home & Personal Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Business Interruption Insurance
- Business Owners Package Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Property Insurance
- Commercial Umbrella Insurance
- Cyber Liability Insurance
- Concierge Cyber®
- General Liability Insurance
- Hotel & Motel Hospitality Insurance
- Surety Bonds
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- - View All Business
- Life Insurance
- Health Insurance
- About Us
- Contact Us
Article originally posted on www.erieinsurance.com(opens in new tab)Filed Under: Car Sense, Home Sense | Tagged With: Personal Umbrella Insurance
I’m a safe driver. I don’t do risky things. Someone I know would never sue me.
When it comes to truly terrible events, many people have the “it can’t happen to me” mentality.
However, by simply driving a car, owning a home or entertaining friends, the possibility exists that a tragic accident could occur… and potentially, a costly lawsuit.
Many people mistakenly believe that only millionaires need umbrella policies. In reality, a tragic accident has the potential to financially derail people of modest means as well as multimillionaires.
At ERIE, our job is to look ahead and prepare you for life’s unexpected twists and turns. Here’s how an umbrella policy can help give you peace of mind, knowing that your financial interests are protected.
How much liability insurance do I need?
Your home or auto policy includes liability insurance up to a certain dollar amount. In insurance terms, that’s known as your limit. If you file a claim for a covered loss, your policy can pay up to the dollar amount stated in that limit.
And if the bills are higher than the limit… the rest of the cash typically comes from your wallet.
Here’s the thing about accidents: No one plans for them. (That’s why they’re called accidents!) And if it’s an especially bad accident – something that causes serious injury to someone else – the related costs could exceed an average person’s auto or home liability insurance limits.
The good news: An umbrella policy offers higher levels of coverage to protect you against expensive accidents, such as a tragic car accident or injury on your property.
WHAT CAN AN UMBRELLA POLICY COVER?
Simply put: An umbrella policy can pick up where your home and auto liability limits leave off.
In today’s litigious society, anyone can be sued. If you accidentally injure someone or damage their property, a court could very well hold you liable for the costs of medical bills, repair bills and/or legal fees.
Let’s put that into context:
- How much auto liability coverage is enough? A lawsuit resulting from a tragic car accident could exceed your auto liability limits, leaving you on the hook for costly damages. Basic liability insurance limits are typically $100,000 or $300,000. While this is enough to cover many situations, accidents that are more severe or result in multiple people injured could add up to more than you’d expect.
- Can my homeowners insurance kick in if someone gets hurt on my property? If someone were to get seriously injured – or worse – in your pool or riding your ATV (for example), a lawsuit could wipe out your finances. Medical costs alone can soar into the millions quickly, especially if a person needs extensive medical treatment or long-term physical therapy.
Talk to a local insurance professional, like your local ERIE agent, about what amount of coverage is right for you. An umbrella policy offers affordable, worldwide protection for you and covered family members.
Is an umbrella policy worth it?
Unfortunately, bad things sometimes happen – and no one is immune.
If a court decides you owe more than the limits of your auto, boat or homeowners policy, your personal assets could be at risk. This includes cash, such as your savings or future wages. In some states, even your retirement savings and your home could be up for grabs.
An umbrella policy from ERIE offers higher levels of coverage and affordable, worldwide protection for you and covered family members. That means you can relax and enjoy more of the good times that life has to offer.
How to Get Umbrella Insurance
Insurance certainly can’t stop bad things from happening. But it can help ensure that an accident doesn’t leave you, your family and possibly even a victim high and dry.
With an umbrella policy from ERIE, you get the peace of mind knowing your financial interests are safeguarded – even if something unexpected happens.
Reach out to your local Erie Insurance agent to learn more and get a free quote.
The insurance products described in this article are not offered in all states and are currently are not available in New York (expected to be available 2022) and may change at any time. Personal Catastrophe Liability continues to be offered until the Umbrella Liability Coverage becomes available in New York. The policy contains the specific details of the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions that apply. Talk to your Agent for details.
A better insurance experience starts with ERIE.
Haven’t heard of us? Erie Insurance started with humble beginnings in 1925 with a mission to emphasize customer service above all else. Though we’ve grown to reach the Fortune 500 list, we still haven’t lost the human touch.
Contact Lee Winters Insurance Agency today to experience the ERIE difference for yourself.