- Auto, Home & Personal Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Business Interruption Insurance
- Business Owners Package Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Property Insurance
- Commercial Umbrella Insurance
- Cyber Liability Insurance
- Concierge Cyber®
- General Liability Insurance
- Hotel & Motel Hospitality Insurance
- Surety Bonds
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- - View All Business
- Life Insurance
- Health Insurance
- About Us
- Contact Us
Article originally posted on www.erieinsurance.com(opens in new tab)Filed Under: Home Sense
The holidays are here, and all is merry and bright. Before you string the lights, consider these quick safety tips.
- Light check: Before hanging lights, check for frayed wires and throw them out if anything is exposed. Also replace any missing or burned out bulbs.
- Look for the “UL®” stamp: Red UL® stamps mean lights are safe for indoor and outdoor use. Green UL® stamps signify lights are for indoor use only.
- Hang safe: If you get adventurous and hang lights up high, ensure that your ladder is level and secure before you climb. Also avoid entangling near overhead power lines or other unsafe hanging areas.
- Tactfully tack: Clip lights with plastic fasteners. Do not nail lights through the electrical cord.
- Extend with care: Only use extension cords approved for outdoor use. Use three strands or less of connecting lights into each extension cord to remain safe. Keep cords out of walkways or secure cords with heavy tape to prevent tripping hazards.
- Stay grounded: Plug outdoor lights into circuits protected by ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) if possible. This prevents electric shock.
- Time it: Place lights on a timer to save electricity and allow lights to turn on and off when you are away from home.
Home is where love lives and memories are made – at the holidays and every day. That’s why it matters to protect it with insurance you can trust. Learn more about homeowners insurance from ERIE or talk to your local agent for a customized quote.
A better insurance experience starts with ERIE.
Haven’t heard of us? Erie Insurance started with humble beginnings in 1925 with a mission to emphasize customer service above all else. Though we’ve grown to reach the Fortune 500 list, we still haven’t lost the human touch.
Contact Lee Winters Insurance Agency today to experience the ERIE difference for yourself.